Steel-Edge Waterstop Construction Preparations & Installation Steps
Steel-edge waterstop is a modification of traditional waterstop with steel plates being inserted into the middle of vulcanized rubber. Its high liquid-tightness and high absorption of shear movements make the steel-edge waterstop a great choice for expansion, contraction joints and other construction fields with high pressure and variable structure.
Internal steel-edge waterstop installation
External steel-edge waterstop installation
Having steel edges on both sides, steel-edge waterstop is installed differently from the rubber waterstop. Steel-edge waterstop shall be installed as follows.
- Builders shall study carefully and be familiar with the design drawings and current construction codes, standards and procedures.
- Determine the construction sequence of the steel-edge waterstop and reliable fixing measures according to the construction drawings and combined with the actual conditions of the construction site.
- List the steel-edge waterstop performance and effective waterproof locations of the project according to the design and specification requirements, and make sure these specifications are strictly implemented during construction.
According to the design requirements, steel-edge waterstops used in the project must be qualified and its type and specification must meet the project requirements.
- Do not expose steel-edge waterstops to the sun in the open air for a long time. Keep them away from raining. Do not contact with corrosive chemicals.
- Keep machinery and steel reinforcements away from steel-edge waterstops during transportation and construction.
- Steel-edge waterstops must be reliably fixed during construction to avoid displacement during the pouring of concrete, and ensure the correct position of the steel-edge waterstop in the concrete.
- Place the steel-edge waterstop on the specified location according to the design requirements.
- Steel wire goes through mounting holes on both sides of the steel-edge waterstop, position and bind the steel-edge waterstop to the reinforcement mesh. When positioning the steel-edge waterstop, the outer sides of the steel belt shall be higher than the middle rubber waterstop.
- The steel-edge waterstop shall be constructed in strict accordance with the requirements of the construction operation procedures. The middle part of the steel-edge waterstop shall be firmly fixed to guard against the displacement of the steel-edge waterstop during concrete pouring.
- During the construction, it is necessary to protect and support the steel-edge waterstop without concrete pouring. When pouring concrete near the steel-edge waterstop, vibrate the concrete carefully, especially in the horizontal part. When pouring the concrete at the lower edge, be careful to make air bubbles in the concrete run out from the steel edge. When the compacted concrete surface exceeds the steel-edge waterstop plane, cut the steel wire and make the steel-edge waterstop flat.
- When installing the steel-edge waterstop at the corner, bend the steel-edge waterstop at the corner as required by the radius R, and keep the steel belt flat to make the steel belt effectively combined with the concrete and achieve an excellent waterproof effect.
Notes: When positioning the horizontal steel-edge waterstop, we can fasten steel-edge waterstops with φ 6 mm short steel bars through mounting holes on both sides. During the construction, upturn the steel-edge waterstop manually to eliminate air bubbles.